Camp Updates

May 15 Update - As we have entered the second full week of May, we realize many of you are wondering if we will be able to open Hidden Valley camp this summer. We recognize how important providing an answer on this question is to helping all of you in your summer planning. In short, we don’t know just yet. Let me explain.

Camp Director Bruce Condie and I have been fortunate to have a NYS 4-H Statewide work group comprised of camp administrators, executive directors and camp directors meeting weekly to explore the options for the summer camping season. We also have been assisted by the American Camp Association (ACA) and various Community Camp Town Halls which have brought expert advisement from the medical profession to our discussions. Locally we also have a Hidden Valley 4-H Camp Covid-19 Planning group with key stakeholders from our local community, a few members of our Board of Directors, and leadership from the statewide 4-H camping specialist.

We are grateful for your patience as we navigate our way through all the appropriate guidance that we have currently. It has been indicated to us that Hidden valley camp is in Phase 4 part of re-opening, although that could change. We are also waiting on more guidance documents for health-related planning and regulations in respect to Covid-19.

We want our families to have a timeline of our next steps, so you have time to plan for summer care in the event that we are unable to open for the upcoming summer camping season. We will let you know just as soon as possible, but no later than Wednesday, May 27. We appreciate your patience as we weigh the many factors that go into our decision whether to open or not.

We value your connection to camp, and we are committed to exploring all the options that are available to us. Foremost in our planning is the protection and safety of our campers, their families, and the public health of our communities, in New York state and beyond.

Be brave, Stay Strong, Be Well!

On behalf of the CCE Camp Leadership Team,

Melissa C. Schroeder, Youth and Family Issue Leader

_______________________________________________________________________________


Update May 1, 2020 – Due to the coronavirus pandemic, plans for Summer 2020 are not yet finalized. If we are allowed to open, it is likely that there will need to be changes to the format of Camp to promote physical distancing and good health practices.

We have engaged a strong leadership team to advise on the standards we would need to meet in order to operate this summer. Our committee is receiving guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, leaders in the camping profession, the American Camping Association, and the NYS Department of Health. Our primary goal is to ensure the safety of our camp staff, campers, their families and their communities.

We expect to make a decision about Camp around mid-May – whether we will open, or if we will have an adjusted camping season built upon physical distancing. To make it easier for families, if you want to register now and reserve a space, we will refund your deposit 100% if Camp is unable to open.

We promise to keep communicating about our plans as they develop, and to do our best to keep Camp traditions alive for this year.

Last updated May 27, 2020