CCE Schuyler provides services to the Schuyler County
community in seven broad areas:
- Agriculture and Natural Resource Education – We
provide expert advice and science-based solutions to our farmers, woodland
owners and forest management professionals to maintain sustainability and
profitability through constant new challenges.
- Horticulture and Local Foods – Our horticulture
staff provide dozens of education opportunities each year, helping landowners,
farmers and hobbyists become more profitable and residents more knowledgeable
in horticulture and the value of local foods.
- Summer Camping Experiences – CCE Schuyler
operates Hidden Valley 4-H Summer Camp for youth ages 6-16, providing lifelong
friends and memories while promoting positive youth development and connections
to Cornell University.
- 4-H Youth Development – Our 4-H educators are
employed in after school programs and community-based learning experiences that
teach life and leaderships skills to our youth.
- Parenting Education – Our specially trained
educator provides critical services to parents and families in need.
- Energy Services – We provide energy education
and services to municipal officials and residents in helping towns and
households save energy, save money and reduce environmental impacts.
- Nutrition Education - Through the nationally
recognized and funded SNAP Ed program, our educator works with schools and
communities to help battle obesity and educate residents on proper nutrition.
Agriculture and Natural Resources
- CCE has hosted or taught 65 agricultural and
forestry workshops with a total of 3,125 participants.
- Our staff and CCE’s Master Forest Owner have
visited 98 farms and woodland owners to help support their operations.
- We have helped 528 residents over the phone or
email help on agricultural & forestry issues.
- We’ve recently hosted 103 forestry
professionals from across the Northeast for five days of training and
education, elevating Schuyler County’s profile and driving economic activity
in the area
- CCE Schuyler’s blogs and websites have been
viewed by over 1,200 landowners and professionals annually seeking
information and advice on topics like sustainable woodlot management,
silvopasturing, maple production and grazing.
- CCE and the Schuyler County Historical Society
partnered on a year-long, eight session series of workshops on the history of
agriculture in Schuyler County. Over 300 participants enjoyed the talks held
across all of Schuyler County in 2019.
Horticulture and Local Foods
- Our staff have hosted 29 Local food,
horticulture and gardening workshops/events with a total of over 2226
- CCE Staff have answered 1196 calls or emails
giving help on basic gardening, horticulture, and other issues.
- CCE Schuyler has enlisted 16 Master Gardeners
and Volunteers providing 500 plus hours of gardening services.
- CCE Schuyler helped over 260 regional farms
through the new website at https://fingerlakesfarmcountry.com/
- More than 400 farms and local food producers
in the region are now found in a new, searchable online directory at
https://buylocalfoodny.org/ managed now by CCE Schuyler.
Hidden Valley 4-H Camp
- Hosted 504 youth at Hidden Valley 4-H camp
during our 2019 camping season, providing memories for generations. We are
already planning for 2021.
- Provided employment to 41 seasonal staff at
Hidden Valley 4-H camp in 2019.
- Completed all online coursework and in-person
Training to renew the American Camping Assoc. Accreditation.
4-H Youth and Family Development
- Our 4-H Youth sent 37 exhibits to the New York
State Fair in 2019 who tallied multiple ribbons and awards.
- Achieved the highest county participation in
the Produced in NY (PINY) State Fair Contest with 9 youth attending.
- Trained 12 individuals from across the State
at a 3 day Master Food Preservers training held in Schuyler County.
- Provided archery experience for 87 local
school students at Conservation Field Days.
- Provided 21 weeks of 4-H STEAM project
learning to 71 youth between October 1, 2019 and March 5, 2020.
- Worked with 18 4-H Cloverbuds (ages 5-7)
conducting 37 projects related to science, nature, cooking and art.
- Worked with 14 youth on the benefits of hemp
and provided hemp education to 17 4-H Educators Statewide.
- Provided Mindfulness training to 67 4-H
Educators and hosted weekly sessions for 23 students enrolled in 4-H.
- Worked with 7 parents on Mindfulness resources
to help support Social Emotional Learning of students struggling with remote
- Engaged 233 students through our Afterschool
REACH program at Odessa Montour and Watkins Glen schools.
- Provided 164 hours of tutoring support in our
Afterschool program through a partnership with Cornell University.
- Provided over 700 hours of research-based
parent education to 40 families and 79 children across Schuyler County.
- Held 14 parent and child sessions in
collaboration with the Family Play and Resource Center impacting 57 families.
- Through our Smart Energy Choices program, CCE
has helped 63 residents with achieving energy efficiency goals.
- CCE has helped 32 municipalities in the
tri-county region with adopting clean Energy Community Goals.
- CCE Schuyler was instrumental in helping the
Village of Montour Falls achieve Climate Smart Community status and receipt
of a $50,000 grant for energy improvements in the Village.
- Taught 454 local youth through direct
education (classroom, afterschool, and summer REACH programs) the values of
eating healthy and increasing physical activity.
- Conducted nutrition and obesity prevention
presentations and workshops for over 140 food pantry customers
- Provided 730 students from Odessa-Montour and
Watkins Glen School districts with School-wide taste tests in partnership
with the Farm-to-School initiative.
Last updated March 2, 2022